The Importance of the Motorcycle Hangout


In America, we motorcyclists are both spurned and ignored. On the fringes of acceptable society and in the spaces between acceptable traffic, we are literally and figuratively an eyesore in a blind-spot. Images of renegade, outlaw, vagabond and nomad might surface in a soccer-mom focus group when asked about us. Popular culture has painted us with a broad brush, Easy Rider, Sons of Anarchy, Hell's Angels all come to mind. Of course, this perception could not be further from the truth, but it is our invisible burden to bear. Some of us ignore it, some of us embrace it, but it's always riding just behind us like a shadow. The 10-ton tattooed elephant on the pillion seat, if you will.

There is, however, one public space the elephant cannot follow. A place where your leathers and helmet and sordid appearance won't garner a second look from anyone because they all look equally disheveled. I am talking about your friendly neighborhood motorcycle hangout. It might be a place intended by design to attract bikers, or it just might be a regular establishment that organically developed into a hub of motorcycle activity. Regardless, the moto-hangout is the glue that allows our individual obsessions with bikes to take the shape of a community. We take a moment to literally get out of our own head-space by removing our helmets and sharing stories, trading knowledge and shooting the breeze without any fear of being feared.

I only recently realized how truly important it was for me to have a welcoming space to gather and communicate freely with other riders. With the global pandemic, I'm sure many of you also miss the unique camaraderie of your local rider hangout. I miss browsing that sea of bikes outside Newcomb's Ranch on Angeles Crest Highway coffee in-hand and the scent of ponderosa heavy in the alpine air, that hot bowl of chowder at Neptune's Net looking out onto the sparkling ocean just across PCH, that tuna sandwich at Crystal Lake Cafe at the terminus of HWY 39, or that short-stack of pancakes at an early morning pit-stop along Mullholland Highway at the Rock Store.

What makes a good motorcycle hang-out? Well, despite my food laden references above, location is the primary ingredient. All the great biker pit-stops can be found along a truly epic stretch of highway. Next, you'll need a cozy place to escape the elements, plenty of coffee, a functioning toilet, and ample parking space. It doesn't hurt to have something greasy or deep fried on the menu, but If I'm being honest, that is just icing on the cake. Even if Newcomb's was a warm shack that only served 2-day old coffee, I'd still stop there every time I ride up the crest. It's simply my favorite place to be a motorcyclist off my bike. I truly miss it. I miss it all, and I can't wait for my next visit to LA so I can hit up all my favorite spots again.

Here's a list of my favorite motorcycle-friendly establishments in the LA area that I have frequented over the years. And yes, this is in my personal order of preference, so consider that my disclaimer of full bias. I'm sure there are many more in the LA area, so please let me know in the comments if I missed any.

#1 - Newcomb's Ranch (Angeles Crest Highway)
#2 - The Rock Store (Mullholland Highway)
#3 - Neptune's Net (Pacific Coast Highway)
#4 - Cook's Corner (Trabuco Canyon)
#5 - Crystal Lake Cafe (Highway 39)

Honorable Mentions

Lucky Wheels Garage (Mission Road in Boyle Heights, East LA)
Deus Ex Machina (Venice Boulevard)
The House of Machines (7th Street in the Arts District, Little Tokyo)

Comments

  1. I need a good car/bike meet-up like this soon! Nothing better than chilling and admiring people's rides!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think so too bud - I understand that we bikers can have a "lone wolf" mentality - hell, I'm one of the least social people I know, but I still love being in a space with tons dope bikes to admire and fellow riders who I can potentially tap for new information/knowledge, if not a good story.

    Thanks for commenting Mr. Hozz - may the boost be with you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

JDM: The Clapped Out, Truck Sticked Mini Bike Of Your Dreams

JDM: The Japanese Motorcycle Mail Carrier

Bike Envy: 1981 Suzuki GSX1100S Katana